Objects in the building-What they are, how they relate, and why they’re here.

A brief history of some of the items found inside Maggie’s.

Kaempffer’s Corner Sailor (to the left inside the front door)

Maggie’s family operated a produce stand/landscaping store in New Jersey in the 1950’s and 60’s called Kaempffer’ Corner. The Sailor was their mascot.

Mr. Green Pepper (to the right inside the front door)

Mr Green Pepper lived a prior life in a former produce stand and has now found a sweet retirement gig as Maggie’s official greeter and security guard.

Kayak Paddle, Canoe Paddle, Oar, Fly Rod and fish (near the ceiling inside the front door)

These four objects represent some of the recreational activities that are enjoyed by locals and visitors to our town. Rowing, canoeing, kayaking and fly fishing occur almost daily along this stretch of the Rappahannock.

The Rappahannock river was important for indigenous peoples for many thousands of years. The name of the river is derived from the from an Algonquian word, lappihanne meaning "river of quick, rising water" or "where the tide ebbs and flows," the name used by the local Rappahonnock Tribe.

It was explored by Captain John Smith in 1608. Due to the Piedmont Fall Line, this area is the furthest navigable spot in the river, and became an ideal locations for the city of Fredericksburg to be formed.

Coca Cola Crate and bottles (top of kitchen wall)

This Coca Cola crate comes from the now closed Northern Neck bottling plant located in nearby Montross, Virginia. The 12 ounce bottles in the wooden crate are known as “hoop skirt“ bottles due to their shape. When those 12 ounce bottles were made, each bottler used a mark of their town or city on the bottom. In the event that the bottle was returned for deposit to a neighboring bottler, they could be returned to the rightful owner for refilling.

The Montross bottler was one of a handful of locations that continued to use the glass 12 oz returnable bottles in their machines after most others had discontinued in favor of aluminum cans. They would buy the stock of other bottlers that had switched to plastic or keep bottles from neighboring bottlers. When the Warsaw plant closed in 2001 many of these cases of Coca Cola went unsold and were left filled. The bottles in this case are all embossed with the Fredericksburg VA logo on the bottom which was located on Princess Anne Street.

Sargie the Dog (top of kitchen wall)

One of several of our crew of mascots, Sargie is Maggie’s howling beagle.

Telephone Poles and Glass Insulators

The two sections of telephone poles are topped with 1930’s era glass insulators that were used to help carry telegraph and later telephone lines. These glass insulators are from the lines located along the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad right of way. This picture shows similar ones in place in rows on the poles along that railroad line when they were in operation.

Kingfisher Brand Coffee Can

This can was originally filled at the Janney Coffee roasting building located approximately 4 blocks directly south of Maggie’s at 306 Frederick Street. It contained approximately 5 pounds of ground coffee and would have been used in the restaurants and hotels in the city and surrounding areas. Janney roasted coffee beans, ground them and filled them into various sizes of packaging for sale in stores in Fredericksburg and local counties.

Corporation of Fredericksburg Civil War Currency

These are three notes issued by the Corporation of Fredericksburg as Currency during the Civil War. These 1 dollar, 50 cent and 25 cent notes were printed, signed and dated in the city over 160 years ago in 1861. They were used to buy the first order on the first day at Maggie’s.

Fredericksburg Creamery Company Crate and Bottles

The Fredericksburg Creamery Company (FCC) was located approximately 3 blocks southwest of Maggie’s at 514 Wolfe Street.

The company received milk from the local farmers in Spotsylvania, Stafford and King George Counties and turned it into various dairy products including ice cream, cream and milk.

The milk was poured into glass bottles, the bottles were topped with milk caps and the placed 12 at a time into the wooden milk cases. The employees would fill their trucks with cases of milk for door to door delivery to the households and businesses in Fredericksburg and the surrounding counties. As the FCC drivers delivered the full bottles, they would collect the empty ones left out by the customer from the previous week and return them to the Creamery where they were washed and refilled for subsequent deliveries.

Metal Egg Crate

The Fredericksburg Metal Egg Crate Company was formed in the early 1917 and was located approximately 4 blocks south of Maggie’s at 601 Jackson Street. The company was capitalizing on the US Postal Service’s recently created (1913) domestic parcel post that allowed for shipping of items.

The farmer would place the eggs in specially designed cushioning sleeves which were sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of cardboard.

This layer or layers of sleeves were placed in the metal egg crate and mailed to the recipient(usually a small grocery store or family without chickens that lived in town.

The eggs were removed and the customer would reinstall the sleeves, place payment for the next shipment of eggs, address the box, and mail it back to the farmer.

There was an instruction sheet that was included to help the users with packing and mailing instructions.

The metal egg crate was made in several sizes including the 1,2,3,4 and 6 dozen models. The metal egg crate in Maggie’s is the 6 dozen model.

Etched Glass (Train) Booth Divider

This piece of glass has an etching of a 4-6-2 steam locomotive which was a style used by the Richmond Fredericksburg and Potomac in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. The glass and wood panel was used as a divider between booths in the 1990’s popular deli/eatery Spanky’s located approximately 1 block north of Maggie’s at 917 Caroline Street. It was salvaged during the demolition and has made its way here. Below is a picture of a 4-6-2 used on the RFP line.

Ideal Flour Bag, Janney Marshall Company

This flour bag was printed in the 1920’s in Richmond by the Strong Bag Company and shipped to Fredericksburg to be used by the Janney-Marshall Company at their warehouse 4 blocks south of Maggie’s at 401 Princess Anne Street. Janney-Marshall repacked large kegs of flour into smaller bags for use in local restaurants, stores, and kitchens.

Wooden Shoe Molds

For over 100 years, but at different times in the 1800s and 1900s, the building you are in was variations of a shoe business. Sometimes as a cobbler making or repairing shoes and boots and also as a retail store for selling various shoes. The shoe forms displayed here were used to build the upper part of a shoe and also used in keeping the shoe tight while repairs were taking place. They are of different sizes and different shapes depending on the style of shoe and what the cobbler was doing.Some are for females, some are for men, and some are for children.